County Road Right of Way Permits

Work Requiring Permit

Right of Way Permits are required for the following:

  • Construction of roads, driveways, field access or other permanent access to a County Road.
  • Temporary driveway access onto a County road, for activities such as construction or logging.
  • Installation of utilities or other permanent fixtures in the County road right of way.

Right of Way Permits are not issued for fences, landscaping, and other private use of County road right of way. 

  • Such use is allowed, without permit, to the extent that it does not conflict with the dedicated Public Use.
  • Though no permit is required, reviewing your plans with the office of the County Engineer (Public Works Department) is strongly recommended.
  • Additional information - Private Use of County Road Right of Way Guidelines



Application Forms

How to Apply

The Department of Community Development receives all Right of Way Permit applications, makes sure they are entered into the permit tracking system and receives all fees.  Submittal and payment options are listed below.

  • Prepare the Application
    • Download & Complete the Right of Way Permit Application Form
    • Print & Sign the Application
    • Owner must sign an Agent Authorization form if the contact person on the application is someone other than the owner
    • Prepare a drawing or site plan, showing the location of the work in relation to the County road and/or road right of way
    • Scan the documents for online or email submittal (preferred)
    • If submitting by mail, make a copy of the document for your records
  • Submit your Application
    • Option 1 - online via the San Juan County Permit Center
      • Sing up for an account
      • Get your "Portal Access Code"
      • Follow the instructions to apply & upload your completed forms, drawings and/or site plan, as submittals
    • Option 2 - email to San Juan County Community Development (current preferred method)
    • Option 3 - mail to San Juan County Community Development
      • Mail your application to Community Development, PO Box 947, Friday Harbor, WA 98250
  • Pay the application fees
    • Option 1 - online via the San Juan County Permit Center (after the permit has been entered in the system
    • Option 2 - over the phone with a credit card, 360-378-2354
    • Option 3 - by check mailed with the application

Permit Conditions & Standard Plans

Permit Conditions & Standard Plans will be issued with each permit, along with any site or job-specific conditions.  Documents provided here are for reference only.

Approved Contractors

All work in the County road Right of Way must be done by a general contractor approved by Public Works.