Concealed Pistol Licensing Information
Law enforcement agencies run background checks and issue concealed pistol licenses. The Washington State Department of Licensing is the record keeper for firearms information. Data is available to law enforcement agencies or correctional agencies only.
Use the information below to learn about Concealed Pistol Licenses in San Juan County.
|How do I apply for a concealed pistol license?
||You may apply for a concealed pistol license at the Sheriff's Office in Friday Harbor. The office is open Monday-Friday from 8 a.m. to 4 p.m., excluding holidays.|
|What are the application requirements?||- You must be 21 years of age at the time of the application
- You must be a United States citizen or have a valid Alien Firearms License
- You must live in San Juan County or outside of Washington State
- You must be eligible to own firearms under RCW 9.41.040 and 9.41.045
- You must not have a court order or injunction against possessing firearms
- You must not be pending trial, appeal or sentencing on a felony offense
- You must not have an order to forfeit firearms within the last year
- You must not have any outstanding warrants for any charge, from any court
- You must provide picture identification
- You must be fingerprinted. This is done Thursday mornings between 9 a.m. and 11 a.m. Please call 360-378-4151 to make your fingerprinting appointment. With prior arrangement, special accommodations may be made if you are unable to come during those times.
- You must pay a non-refundable fee of $49.25. The Sheriff's Office only accepts cash or check.
|How do I renew a concealed pistol license?||You may renew your concealed pistol license at the Sheriff's Office in Friday Harbor. The office is open Monday through Friday from 8 a.m. to 4 p.m., excluding holidays.
- You must live in San Juan County or outside Washington State
- You may renew your license up to 90 days prior to the expiration date, through 90 days after the expiration date. 90 days or longer after the expiration date you will be required to apply for an original license.
- You must provide picture identification and your current license.
- Fee: before the expiration date $32 after the expiration date $42.
|What if I lost my concealed pistol license?||If your license was issued in San Juan County, and has been lost, stolen or destroyed, you may obtain a replacement license. Apply in person at the Sheriff's Office in Friday Harbor, during the hours of 8 a.m. to 4 p.m. weekdays, excluding holidays. The fee for a replacement license is $10.|
|How long does it take to receive my license?||If your application is approved, your new CPL will be mailed in approximately 30 days, sometimes less for renewals.|
|Is the CPL valid in another state?||Although there are some states that will honor a Washington CPL, you will need to check with each state you intend to travel in with your firearm as to what is allowed and what their restrictions are.|
|Are there restrictions in Washington State?||Certain restrictions apply, even when you are in possession of your CPL. For more information you may write to the following publications:
State Firearms Laws
Department of Licensing
Division of Professional Licensing
P.O. Box 9649
Olympia, WA 98504
Federal Firearms Laws
Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco and Firearms
915 2nd Avenue
Seattle, WA 98174
Airport Firearms Regulations
Federal Aviation Administration
Aviation Security Branch
1601 Lind Avenue, SW
Renton, WA 98055