Family Support Section

Determining Support Need

  • Do you have a child born outside of marriage for whom you need child support?
  • Do you need to change the amount of child support you receive or pay?
  • Is your child’s other parent refusing to pay child support?

If your answer is yes to any of these questions, you should call the Division of Child Support (DCS) at 800-729-7580 and ask for help. DCS provides free assistance with establishing, modifying and collecting child support. It will also help establish paternity for children who are born outside of marriage. DCS can often provide these services even if one of the parents lives out-of-state or the location of one parent is unknown. If there is a special form you need, please click on this link for DCS forms.

If your child support case requires the help of an attorney in San Juan County, DCS will refer the case to the Skagit County Prosecuting Attorney's Office which handles cases in San Juan County. The Family Support Section assists DSHS in protecting children in families where abuse and neglect can be proven.

Cases the Family Support Section Does Not Handle

DCS and our Family Support Section do not provide assistance with dissolutions of marriage, enforcement of property settlements, resolution of custody disputes, enforcement of residential schedules or parenting plans, and collection of spousal support when no child support is owed.